Following up from Thursday's post about XMPP service, I am happy to report that I found a replacement. What kind of stinks is that it means I am running yet another service for myself. There seems to be a distinct lack of quality when "outsourcing" certain things, and this is one of them. I went from the (new) evil empire to the place which can't fix a dreadful usability problem.
Oh well. At least now if something happens, I can only blame myself... or really bad defaults in the software.
Speaking of which, if you ever find yourself needing to run an XMPP server, and you don't have "avatar" pictures, or they're being truncated, you may need to find and expand the byte limits. They may say that 16 KB is a recommended limit, but in practice, it seems quite a few server operators run with 64 KB. I had to find that out the hard way.
Hopefully, this post will help the next person who goes down this road.